Thursday, June 20, 2013

The ten-cent box

Twice a year, Our Lady Of Grace in Highland, Indiana has their semi-annual rummage sale. It's a decent sale, but like any rummage sale, it's hit or miss. But they always have really great prices, so it's totally worth looking, even if we don't find anything.
This year, there wasn't a whole lot, probably because we got there a little later than we planned (Hey,  two kids 2 and under - it's hard to leave on time!). But I went straight to the homewares and even though there wasn't much, I did find a simple wooden box that I felt had potential.





 
 
Obviously, it's plain, probably handmade, definitely a little rough around the edges. It's a little hard to tell, but it's a good-sized box. I just knew that with a little imagination, this baby could be beautiful.
I had a lot of options, but I decided to keep it simple. A simple white base would be a great way to start.
I used 2 coats, but restrained myself after that for 2 reasons. First, I wanted a job that wouldn't take a million years and that would dry fast. Second, I thought it looks kind of cute like this... sort of shabby-chic.
Next, for the top, I decided to experiment with making Chevron stripes. Man, I had no idea how difficult this could be! Totally worth the effort, but you have to be very precise and pay close attention. I found that using a ruler (a small level might work even better) helped me keep the points at the same height and the lines straight.

 
 Then came the easy - and fun - part. Painting! I ran a bright yellow along the exposed parts on top, making the cutest little zig-zags ever!
 
The I realized I needed to do the sides. I would have don't more chevron since I just loved the way it turned out, but decided to mix patterns... it's a big trend in clothing that I thought I would incorporate into this piece and see how it looked. Fantastic! I loved it!
I leave you now with the finished product. Honestly, I'm not sure what I'll use it for. Maybe I'll even start selling stuff! But it will be awesome, whatever it is.
Make your own awesomeness!


 
Happy thrifting!
 
 
P.S. If you're intimidated by the time and effort that goes into this, start easier. This Nate Berkus piece (have I mentioned I'm in love with him???) is very stylish and cute. And it would be SO easy to make!



No comments:

Post a Comment