Monday, June 24, 2013

A walk on the wild side

The other day, bored with my situation and desperate for a furniture piece to redo, I was ecstatic to find a slate-top end table for $6 online.
The picture appeared to show a quaint little table with wood that needed a little help (no problem - that's kinda what I do) and doors in front, showing potential for plenty of storage. For $6, yes. Yes, I would take it.
When we got to the apartment of the woman selling it, it ended up being much bigger than it seemed in the photos. It was a little over 2 feet tall and about 2-1/2 feet on each side. Also, I had no idea how heavy slate was! So, I borrowed my brother's truck and came back for it the next day. I was not gonna let this baby go.
So there she was, sitting on my porch, looking at the duck pond behind our house and watching the ducks. And I was watching her. She was so pretty, or at least she would be when I got done with her.
I knew I wanted to work with a new color, so I chose a magenta-ish color from the ReStore paint aisle. Once I applied it, I fell in love with the color.
I removed the doors, not only because it makes painting around them easier, but because I had bought a can of white spray paint I fully intended to use on them. I also removed the hardware, hoping to give that a fresh look as well.
I applied the first coats of paint (it eventually ended up taking 4 coats, plus touch-ups).

 
As far as the top went, I would have used the slate it came with as it was, but it had been discolored. So I painted it. After looking for inspiration, I thought I would try a pattern. Zebra seemed to be the most appealing one.

After applying the tape, I spray-painted white, then after removing the tape, painted stripes the same color as the wood. If I'd had black paint on hand, I probably would have used that, but no regrets.
Finally, I painted the doors white, and I painted the hardware silver.
Behold, the finished product!
I love her! She will be my coffee table for now, but I'm thinking I might start selling soon, and I may just start with her. Not sure yet!
So, this is my most recent project. I look forward to more!
Happy thrifting!

No comments:

Post a Comment