Sunday, August 4, 2013

Dollar Store Decor

There are all kinds of reasons I don't buy expensive things. Mostly, I can't afford all the designer décor pieces I love, but who can? Of course there's also the fact that I have two small children and two cats who like to break things. So I've had to become creative when it comes to decorating my home.
I guess that's the whole point of this blog.
When I'm not at the thrift stores, I also love the dollar store. Yes, I'm super cheap. Tell me something I don't know. They actually have some really cute stuff that I use around my house, and if it breaks, what's the most I'm out? A couple bucks?
Here are a couple examples of some dollar store décor I worked on today:

First of all, remember that road flare I fixed up? Remember how I said it would be cool as a vase? Well, I bought some dollar store flowers.
Now, I know fake flowers are a big no-no in professional decorating, but in a house with cats and kids and when I need something cute and small to tuck in the corner of a shelf, I think it's ok.
Anyway, I picked some white flowers that I thought were just adorable, and I trimmed down the stems and tucked them in the "vase." Here's how it looks:
Cute, yes?
And just for fun, I paired the little ensemble with a road marker I picked up at a rummage sale a week ago for $.50, but I'll have a post on that later.
 
So, then I grabbed a few things from the craft aisle. And the craft aisle at the dollar store is awesome, by the way.
I grabbed 3 bags of decorative green stones, three clear vases of varying sizes, and a box of small votive candles. At one dollar an item, that's a total of $7, plus tax of course.
 

I split one bag of stones between the two smaller vases, then poured the other two bags into the tall one, then placed a candle in each.
 

 No, it's not museum art, but if my kids or cats break these vases, I'll feel a lot better about that than I did when they broke my designer Mercury glasses last month.
I won't go there.
So there's my dollar store décor. I hope this inspires you to check out your local Dollar Tree (or whatever you have near you) and look for cheap ideas that still add a special touch to your home!
Happy thrifting!

No comments:

Post a Comment