Saturday, May 4, 2013

A Family Project

I found this table last weekend at Salvation Army for $7. I immediately fell in love! It was a bit rough around the edges, but I saw the beautiful lines and potential, and I knew I had to have it.


So I got it home, looked it over, and right away my mind started racing, pondering all of the amazing things I could do to it. The wood was too rough to save, but I didn't mind. I love painting!
But it seemed like there were too many ideas, too many things I could do, too much potential!
I consulted with some friends who do this sort of thing too, and I even ask the administrator of a blog I've recently fallen for. They gave some amazing advice, and I couldn't wait to get started.
I pulled out the paints and set them out, equipped with the appropriate brushed and bowls. I suited up in my paint gear, pulled up the deck chair, opened up the can of primer, and started priming my new table.
Just as I started, my 2-year-old daughter came over and wanted to help. I thought it might be fun, so I gave her a little brush and she made a sweet little mess helping mommy.
That's when I knew for sure exactly what to do with the table. It became a project for mommy and daughter, and I wouldn't make a chic, robin's-egg-blue table with a distressed finish and fabric overlay on the shelf. I would make a little table for her beloved fishbowl (and my beloved fish).
We painted it red, then took out the white and blue (turquoise actually, but it's the closest we had on such short notice), and went to work.
The love I have for pet fish and for Dr. Seuss are only surpassed by a handful of things.
I leave you now with the finished product. No, it wouldn't be a big seller, but then again, I'm not selling it. I like that I will be looking at this in 30 years, telling my grandkids I made this with their mom on a warm spring night when she was only 2 years old. That means more to me then any money I could have made.
Happy thrifting!

No comments:

Post a Comment