Thursday, February 27, 2014

Valentines Day Outift on a Budget

I have a confession. I am a married woman, and I hate Valentines Day.
Okay, I don't hate it. But... I don't know. Maybe it was all those years in high school when I wanted to go to the Valentine Banquet with my friends, and my mom told me I couldn't unless I had a date. It made me hate that the day was really only for those who had someone's attraction, and otherwise you should feel terribly embarrassed or ashamed or guilty.
Now, I know that's not what it's about. It's about Saint Valentine who was martyred and wrote letters and all the rest of that gruesome story my mom used to tell all of us every Valentines Day. Still, I' only in it for the candy.
Did I mention that there was one year when everyone in my family wrote Valentines to everyone else and every single person forgot to write me one? There are ten kids, and not one remembered me.
Moving on...
This Valentines Day wasn't anything special, but I did decide that I would get dressed up. Heck, maybe I'd even wear lipstick. An outfit fitting for the occasion, well, that would be difficult.
I had bought a pair of faux leather leggings on Ebay about a year ago, but I had yet to wear them. For one thing, I've been waiting for winter, and for another, I didn't have a top that I felt went with them. I've searched in thrift stores and online for all these months, but I have had no luck. I even went to Kohl's with the gift card my sister gave me, but that was a huge disappointment (More on that in the next post, though). Nothing.
Nada. Zero. Zilch.
Finally kind of on accident, I found a really cute blouse on Ebay. I'm not a blouse person, as they usually need to be tucked in, and my belly is a problem area. Thus, I rarely tuck anything in. This one, however, was really more of a tunic. Also it was purple. At the fantastic price of $16.22 (it was brand new and yes, a bit of a splurge, but still cheaper than a department store), I had to get it.
I accessorized with a $3 bracelet from Ebay, earrings gifted to me from my sister, and nude suede heels that I had gotten for $7 from Salvation Army. The final result:
 
So there ya go! Altogether, my outfit cost about $40. The original retail price of the shoes alone was more than that.
Happy thrifting!

No comments:

Post a Comment