Saturday, July 28, 2012

A DIY Chair Project

I showed off this chair a couple of posts ago, but for those who have never attempted a project like this, I just want to show you how easy it is. All you will need are the following:

Paint (if needed)
screwdriver
about a yard of fabric (more or less depending on chair seat size)
hammer and nails, or staple gun (staple gun works better, but hammer and nails are just as effective as long as nails aren't long enough to poke through the seat)
Foam padding cut to the seat's exact size, if needed

This is actually the second time I have redone this chair. The first time, I replaced the dull blue color for the teal it is now, and an outdated seat for a vibrant yellow color. But, having cats and kids takes it's toll on a chair, so I had to do it over. I actually used leftover fabric from the first time I did the chair, so if you can't see all the differences, it's okay because that's not really the point I'm trying to get across. I mostly just want to show you how to do it.

First, remove the seat from the chair by unscrewing the seat from its base.
After you've removed the seat, paint the chair the desired color, if you wish to paint it, and set it in a ventilated area to dry while you redo the seat.
Then, remove the fabric from the seat.
Change the foam padding, if needed.
Cover the seat with the new fabric.
Pull the fabric tight enough around the seat to reduce any wrinkling, but not so tight that it induces tearing.
Nail or staple fabric to seat bottom. Cut excess fabric to keep it from hanging off the bottom.
Once the paint has completely dried, rescrew the seat into the base.
And there's your new chair!

I hope this helped you see how fun and easy these DIY projects are.
Happy thrifting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment